Do You Really Need to See a GP?

Many people use their GP as their first port of call whenever they have any health problems. But often they could have received the necessary care somewhere else, freeing up valuable GP appointments for those who really need to see a GP. Worse still, some patients try to make an appointment with a GP when they should really be seeking urgent emergency care, via A&E or calling 999.

Below is some helpful information on services you can access to help with lots of different medical problems, without having to see a GP first.

Is your life potentially in danger?

Ring 999 if you have any of these conditions:

  • Anaphylactic shock
  • Severe bleeding
  • Severe breathlessness
  • Severe burns
  • Suspected heart attack
  • Choking
  • Drowning incident
  • Uncontrollable fits
  • Hypo (low sugar)
  • Hypothermia
  • Deep lacerations
  • Suspected meningitis
  • Suspected stroke
  • Unconscious
  • Looking very poorly
  • Condition significantly deteriorating

Have you got a medical emergency?

Go straight to A+E if you have:

  • Severe abdominal pain
  • Sudden blindness
  • Breathless, can’t speak
  • Suspected fractures
  • Floppy unresponsive baby
  • Severe head injury
  • Lethargic drowsy child
  • Persistent nose bleed
  • Drug overdose
  • Swallowed foreign body

Do you need to see a nurse?

Our nurses deal with a range of conditions:

  • Asthma
  • Blood pressure
  • Blocked ears and wax
  • Cardiovascular reviews
  • COPD
  • Dressings
  • Family planning
  • Health checks
  • Ring pessaries
  • Smears and swabs
  • Travel advice
  • Vaccinations
  • Weight monitoring

Do you need a telephone appointment?

These can be dealt with by telephone:

  • Simple urine infections
  • Discussing results
  • Ongoing sick notes
  • Conjunctivitis
  • Medication advice
  • Viral illnesses
  • Minor illness
  • Certain reviews

Do you need the Minor Injuries Unit (MIU)?

These conditions are dealt with by a MIU:

  • Bites and stings
  • Cuts and grazes
  • Eye problems
  • Foreign bodies in skin
  • Burns and scalds
  • Minor head injuries
  • Sprains and strains
  • Road traffic accidents
  • Minor wound infections

Do you need to see a dentist?

You must see a dentist if you have:

  • Dental abscess
  • Toothache
  • Gum problems

Click here to find an NHS Dentist in your area

Do you need to see a pharmacist?

Your pharmacist can give you advice on:

  • Athlete’s foot
  • Minor allergies
  • Bloating and wind
  • Cold sores
  • Conjunctivitis
  • Constipation
  • Coughs & colds
  • Cystitis
  • Dermatitis and eczema
  • Diarrhoea
  • Ear wax
  • Emergency contraception
  • Hayfever
  • Headaches
  • Headlice
  • Indigestion
  • Irritable bowel
  • Mouth ulcers
  • Nasal congestion
  • Piles
  • Runny nose
  • Scabies
  • Sinus problems
  • Sleep problems
  • Sore throat
  • Styes
  • Teething troubles
  • Threadworms
  • Thrush
  • Urine infections
  • Verrucas
  • Viral infections
  • Warts

Can you look after yourself?

These conditions respond to self-care:

  • Coughs and colds
  • Diarrhoea
  • Earache
  • Flu
  • Hangover
  • Minor grazes
  • Sunburn
  • Viral illness
  • Sore throat

Did you know you can refer yourself?

Refer yourself without seeing doctor first:

  • Alcohol abuse
  • Counselling
  • Drug abuse
  • Mild to moderate anxiety
  • Mild-moderate depression
  • Family planning
  • Stop smoking advice
  • Weight management

Services you can self refer to

Forward Leeds Alcohol & Drug Service

Call us for support today: tel icon small0113 887 2477

(open 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday, late appointments are available, please contact us for more details).

Community detox is offered for opiate, alcohol and benzodiazepines, harm reduction and needle exchange

Social prescribing – Linking Leeds

Linking Leeds Hub: tel icon small0113 336 7612

This service aims to connect people to services and activities in their community in order to benefit overall health and wellbeing.

CASH Clinics/Services

Click here to visit the Bradford council Website for details of sexual health cervices available in Bradford


If you’re a young person, MindMate can help you understand the way you’re feeling and find the right advice and support. Their website also has resources for parents or carers of young people.

IaPT: Our self-referral telephone number is: tel icon small0113 843 4388

(for those aged 17 or older and registered with a Leeds GP)

We can offer you help with the following conditions:

  • Depression
  • Anxiety & Stress
  • Panic Disorder
  • Simple Phobia
  • Health Anxiety
  • Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
  • Generalised Anxiety Disorder
  • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (including trichotillomania & skin picking)
  • Bulimia (mild)
  • Binge Eating Disorder
  • Social Phobia
  • Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Cruse Bereavement Support tel icon smallTel: 0113 234 4150

Promote the well-being of bereaved people to enable them to understand their grief and cope with their loss. They provide support, and offers information, advice, education and training services.

(National phone line: tel icon small0808 808 1677)

Leeds Bereavement forum: Can signpost people to appropriate services:

One You (Lifestyle) tel icon smallCall 0800 169 4219

Smoking cessation, weight management, exercise advice, healthy eating